Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sprained Ankle

During a game of ultimate on Saturday I rolled my ankle badly and ended up with a classic lateral sprain. It was very painful and I ended up very much immobilized. But four days and half a dozen ibuprofen later the swelling is mostly gone and I have recovered a lot of the movement. Fortunately I made a glorious catch in the endzone on the play, so at least it wasn't for nothing.

This is a bit of a bummer though. I've got an incredible history of health - I've never broken, fractured, sprained or strained anything ever before. In fact, this is probably the worst sports related injury I've ever had in my life, which, when you consider how much ultimate, sepak takraw, street hockey, tennis and bicycling I've done in my life, is pretty remarkable. I like to tell people that I'm neither heavy enough nor strong enough to injure myself. But I suppose I will have to take it easy in the weeks leading up to my departure in order not to aggravate my ankle. I might miss the beginning of the ultimate season, and I probably shouldn't do too much hiking/biking in the next little while. I'll take the optimistic approach with this one though, and claim it as an important and timely lesson - I'm not invincible, just lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment