Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cone Packs


I just realized I will have to make cone packs for this firing. How should I approach this? In a typical firing one places a cone pack on each shelf near a peep hole. This firing will not be typical.

The logical approach would seem to be to leave them at strategic locations all over the island. Perhaps at the geographical extremes of the island - the northern-, southern-, eastern- and western-most points. Probably also one near the kiln site, one at the site of the old settlement of Grey Islands Harbour, and one near my campsite. And perhaps anywhere else I find interesting. This way I will get a good overview of the firing temperature throughout the area.



Which brings me to another point - how exactly does one flip a kiln inside out? I've got a few ideas, but nothing really solid yet. I think it's going to be particularly difficult to control the flame path and the oxidation/reduction cycle. Time to get out the sketchbook and have a go at it.

2 comments:

  1. you are making the kiln. do you need to make the cones packs too? from scratch i mean.

    and what about test rings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Test rings? I never thought about that. I've honestly never used them, even when I was salt firing. It's a good idea though. But do people use test rings in wood firing?

    ReplyDelete