Thursday, March 12, 2009

Firearms Safety Course

Last night I finished up the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. This course teaches you to load, unload and handle a gun safely, and successful completion enables you to apply for a firearms Possession and Acquisition License. I will be putting my application in the mail later this week.

Why do I want a gun? Two reasons: first, the small but not insignificant threat of polar bear. I hope to never use it and to never ever see a polar bear in my life, but I want to at least have the option of lethal force. I'm also gonna bring pepper spray and "bear bangers" - little explosive devices you can toss in the direction of a bear to scare it away. Of course all this goes along with regular bear safety rules - keeping a clean camp, proper food storage, and avoiding confrontational situations. There is very little chance of encountering a polar bear when I arrive on the Grey Islands in late June or early July, and the probability of one arriving later in August or September is virtually zero. But preparing for the unlikely will not only leave me in a better situation if it actually does happen, but also puts me in a good psychological state going in.

I've never hunted in my life, but I think that having gun would also be a good idea in the event of a food emergency. Say for instance my food stash gets flooded, or everything gets spoiled somehow, and I need to take care of myself until help arrives. It is nice to know that I could at least shoot and roast a few seagulls if I have to.

1 comment:

  1. a gun....whew. i am going to Vancouver for a month for my project. now you have me thinking. do i need a gun?

    ReplyDelete