Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Little Off Topic...

Just now while I was researching transportation to the islands I came across this line on the "about us" page of a website of an outfitter in Roddickton:

"Mayflower Outfitters is located on the Great Northern Peninsula in Moose Management Unit 40."

For years I've wondered why Newfoundland is not broken down into smaller political units - counties, townships or something of the like. I remember first moving to the town of Perth in Lanark County in eastern Ontario and being astonished that I was always nested three layers deep "in" some place, even when I was miles out in the country on my bike with nothing around me. I suppose we have bays, but it's become less and less frequent to refer to places like Harcourt, Trinity Bay, or Westport, White Bay, for instance. Also, a bay is obviously not a functional division of land - which bays would Buchans or Wabush be in?

So my proposal is to institute the Moose Management Unit as the official division of land within the province. Imagine the delight of receiving a letter addressed like this:

Alphonsus Bucket
12 Fishgirdle Row
Harbour Bay
Moose Management Unit 27
Newfoundland and Labrador
Canada

I'm sure the surveying and boundary making is already done so it wouldn't represent that much of a logistical challenge. And certainly most residents already know which MMU they reside in. And yes, it's perversely idiosyncratic, but so is having our own little time zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment